Wednesday 20 September 2017

Nepal Border - Chitwan Park; Nepal

I love Nepal. Seriously, it's awesome.

One of the first things I noticed after crossing the border was the relative silence - there's no cacophony of noise on the roads! The horn here is used appropriately - not as a substitute for indicators, or as a greeting, or to move a cow out of the way. The air is cleaner, the rules of the road apply, and the people far less aggressive.

We had lunch at a cafe in a tiny village up a mountain, on a terrace with fantastic views over the rainforest below us. Then we headed to the village of Barauli, which is a 'homestay' setup - meaning we live as part of the village whilst we're here. As we arrived, they stood in a line, clapped, painted a bindi on our foreheads and placed a ring of real flowers around our necks in turn. It was slightly odd, but very welcoming!

We hired some bikes and cycles from the village to a river. I was pretty scared of getting on a bike for the first time since the crash, but I did it, and I was so glad I did. Sunset over the river was absolutely beautiful, and made so much more stunning by three elephants playing in the water.

Definitely my favourite moment of the trip so far!

Love Emily x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Days 4-12/82 of isolation

Days 4-12 of isolation have been spent doing, well, fuck all really. A high was receiving my 'shielding letter' in the post, bec...