Wednesday 13 September 2017

Jaipur; India

There are no amusing stories or near-miss escapades in this post. I've experienced 'real India', and it isn't pretty. 

The level of poverty I've seen in Jaipur hugely exceeds what I saw in Delhi and all the African countries I visited - although maybe I just wasn't exposed to it there. Here, it's unavoidable. Whilst I was on a bus I saw a woman with a newborn baby walking in the middle of the road, thrusting an empty feeding bottle into people's faces and begging for water to feed him with. Not milk - water. No-one seemed willing to help her (and I couldn't because I was in a speeding vehicle steering erratically), and that shows how entrenched the poverty is: a starving woman and her newborn baby doesn't register as a problem which needs solving. Men, women and children sleep on the streets amongst sewage and stray dogs, because that it their status.

Life doesn't seem very fair out here.

Love Emily x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Days 4-12/82 of isolation

Days 4-12 of isolation have been spent doing, well, fuck all really. A high was receiving my 'shielding letter' in the post, bec...