Tuesday 12 September 2017

Delhi-Jaipur; India

Today I visited the 'Gateway of India', a monument, with lots of similarities to the Arc D'Triumph, to honour dead soldiers. In the middle of the arch there's a flame, which hasn't been extinguished since the archway was built. In front of the Gateway was a snake charmer who assumed I was taking a photo of him, not the monument. He wanted royalties for the photo of him I didn't take, and chased me with his cobra until I paid up.

Later on, we hit the road and took a 7 hour bus ride to Jaipur. I really feel the photo below needs some context: I took it from a bus in the slow lane. Note the car driving straight at us, the motorcyclist riding the wrong way, cars straddling lanes, and a random pedestrian. My respect for the Highway Code increases with each mile.



In Jaipur we walked around the market, and were offered some street food. I need to be clear about this: Indian 'street food' is worlds apart from the 'authentic' food carts with their council hygiene ratings that you find in the hipster parts of town. No, this food is prepared, sold and eaten amongst the stench of human sewage and rotting animals. I didn't think my 0.8 of a neutrophil was up to the challenge, and politely declined.

After establishing that street food was not the way forward we took a tuk tuk (like a rickshaw with an engine, for maximum damage potential) to a restaurant with better reviews. Words can't describe the terror, and I have a video to show anyone who thinks I'm exaggerating!

Love Emily x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Days 4-12/82 of isolation

Days 4-12 of isolation have been spent doing, well, fuck all really. A high was receiving my 'shielding letter' in the post, bec...