Thursday 21 September 2017

Chitwan National Park; Nepal

They say it never rains but it pours, and that was certainly the case today. I didn't sleep well last night (hard bed, mosquito net too close to my face, and lungs feeling full of gunk if I lay flat) and woke up feeling cold. "How can this be?", I thought to myself, "I've not felt anything other than disgustingly sweaty in nearly a fortnight". I could hear rain hammering on the hut roof, and realised the rain had been coming through the mesh window and gradually making me wet overnight.

The dash from our hut to the communal room required my Emergency Poncho, and I was absolutely soaked when I arrived. When we arrived there, we were told that the jeep safari planned for the afternoon had been cancelled because the rain had flooded the tracks, and the wifi was down. Seriously unimpressed, we cracked out the Uno cards and Emergency Chocolate, contemplated daytime drinking, and started pleading with out guide. 

Eventually the pleading worked and the safari was rearranged. It was a jeep setup similar to in Africa, driving through dense rainforest. Every few minutes the jeep stopped and we excitedly wondered if it was because the driver had spotted something, or had the truck just got stuck again? (Spoiler: it was always the latter). I don't want to sound too grumpy though, so here's a list of all the animals I saw:
2 parrots
A deer

Seriously though, it was a fun drive, and I'm really pleased I had the opportunity to see so many cool wild animals, even if they didn't feel like saying hello. 

In the evening we had dinner cooked for us by the local Tharu people, and they gave a performance of their traditional songs and dances. I was consuming a fair amount of vodka (the standard spirit measure here is 60mls...) during their performance, and therefore didn't even slightly hesitate when they invited me up to join in. It was so so funny, and I'm sure some photos will emerge. Tomorrow we'll be sobering up, and driving through the mountains to reach Pokhara.

Love Emily x

1 comment:

Days 4-12/82 of isolation

Days 4-12 of isolation have been spent doing, well, fuck all really. A high was receiving my 'shielding letter' in the post, bec...